At the Boonchuy residence, the Plantars are very clearly homesick for Amphibia, and Anne is baking them cookies with bugs while they are outside in their makeshift swamp in the backyard, but it is not cheering them up. While they go back to their miniature village of Wartwood Swamp they built in the bushes, Anne receives a call from Dr. Jan where she says that she has found a scientist who has been working with string theory and may have some work to show about getting the Plantars back to Amphibia. Most importantly, she mentioned that she still needs to vet this scientist to make sure she can be trusted, so she asks Anne to not tell the Plantars just yet.
But, thanks to a bit of a guilt trip, Anne breaks and tells the family everything, and they soon find themselves at Dr. Frakes' children's museum.
While there, the group poses as reporters interested to a scientist in her real studies, not just the kids' experiments. After some bartering they are let in, where Dr. Frakes explains that only recently did her studies lunge forward when an energy event opened a portal in her equipment, and we see the flashback of Anne, Sasha, and Marcy opening the Calamity Box in the playground and being sucked into Amphibia, but also at Frakes' lab, where Frake's Skip Man was sucked into the energy field.
Dr. Frakes explains that she can keep the portal open for a short time, but the magnetic interference doesn't allow her to get any clean images of it, but is ready to prove otherwise, but her scientist assistant, Terri, doesn't think it's a good idea, seeing as it’s too dangerous, but Dr. Frakes didn’t care.
The group thinks they see Amphibia in the images and try to take a look, so Dr. Frakes opens up the portal but when it collapses, creates such an energy burst (seeing that the portal only holds for 5 seconds) that it knocks off the disguises on the Plantars, revealing their true frog identity to the doctor.
Chaos ensues as Dr. Frakes now has proof of the other worlds the portal can access and tries to kidnap the Plantars and dissect them to learn more. Terri thinks this has gone too far which Terri deemed wrong and teams up with Anne to help the Plantars at the cost of her job, although meaning that she would be fired.
The gang eventually escapes, and Terri takes them all home while driving her violet car, suggesting that she will help them build a portal with everything she learned while working for Dr. Frakes.
Near the end of the episode, Sprig then asks Terri, using his guilting technique, if he could drive, which she agrees, but he nearly causes the car to crash.
- Brenda Song as Anne Boonchuy
- Justin Felbinger as Sprig Plantar
- Bill Farmer as Hop Pop Plantar
- Amanda Leighton as Polly Plantar
- On Braly as Mrs. Boonchuy
- Brian Sounalath as Mr. Boonchuy
- Kate Micucci as Terri
- Cree Summer as Dr. Frakes, Crazed Candy Boy (credited as additional voices)
- Anika Noni Rose as Dr. Jan
- Eden Riegel as Gaming Boy, Screaming Girl
- Troy Baker as Science Teacher, Documentary Narrator
- Kari Wahlgren as Crazed Candy Girl, Calm Candy Girl, Crazed Candy Glasses Boy
- Wally Ribbiton (imitation)
- Leopold Loggle (imitation)
- Sadie Croaker (imitation)
- Mayor Toadstool (imitation)
- Toadie (imitation)
- Sylvia Sundew (imitation)
- Bessie (imitation)
|For a full transcript of "If You Give a Frog a Cookie", click here.|
Click here to view the gallery.
Revelations and significant events
- On the night when Anne, Marcy, and Sasha got teleported to Amphibia, the Calamity Box caused a blackout once it was opened; the power output was detected by Dr. Frakes, which led her to start developing a portal to other realities.
- The Plantars have built a tiny version of Wartwood in Anne's backyard because of their homesickness.
- Terri becomes an ally besides Dr. Jan, Jess, Ally, and the Thai Community.
- The flashback of Anne, Marcy and Sasha being teleported was from the flashback of "Best Fronds" and the Amphibia Main Theme of Season 1 and Season 2, respectively.
- The Skip Man from "Wax Museum" came from Dr. Frakes as a result of it being sucked into a portal during the Calamity Box event, and collected by Curator Ponds sometime before the episode, then into the hands of Anne.
- This is the second time that the Demon Realm from The Owl House is referenced, the first being in "A Day at the Aquarium".
- This would imply that The Owl House universe is connected to the same universe as Amphibia'.
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - The episode's title is based on the children's book of the same name. Both contain the moral of when being too giving becomes problematic.
- The Owl House - One of the blurred realities on Dr. Frakes's monitors is the series' titular location.
- Phineas and Ferb - Terri asks Anne "Aren't you a little young to be reporters?", though Frake's burst from behind Terri interrupts Terri before she received the answer.
- Dr. Eggman and Professor Elvin Gadd - The mug behind Dr. Frakes during the portal flashback resembles Dr. Eggman from the Sonic the Hedgehog series and Professor Elvin Gadd from the Luigi's Mansion series combined. That and Doc Brown from Back to the Future.
- Yume Nikki - There is a girl inside the Brainasium who looks like the main protagonist, Madotsuki.